Thursday 22 March 2018

The Warsaw barricades

During the second world war, there were more than a 1000 barricades built by civilians. 

For the ones who do not know, with the Polish armed forces losing terrain, civilians formed underground groups fighting against the Nazis, as a non Jewish civilian you were not receiving any "privileges", you could get shot. 

The most famous barricade I read about was very close to where I always get off the bus in the center. Main reason was to build a shield which allowed people to cross one of Warsaw's main streets: aleje Jerozolimskie (Jerusalem avenue). The Germans were just a few hundred meters away in an annexed high building from one side, where snipers shot on people crossing the street; and from the Central Station on the other side.

This Jewish woman explains it clearly. She survived by using the shield of the barricade.


Recently I wanted to have a look myself.
After school I walked via Plac Powstańców Warszawy (Warsaw Uprising square) and ulica Szpitalna towards ulica Bracka. I was getting close.

When arriving at Aleje Jerozolimskie (Jerusalem Avenue), number 23 to be precise, I noticed the below  commemorative plaque.


It shows code name "Bełt" which I knew, but I was sure when I saw the word "Barykady", barricades.

I was there, a very important place in Warsaw's history. Meanwhile trams, buses and cars were passing me, driving like there was no tomorrow; but I just stood there, time stopped for a while...I have soft spot for these kind of things.

Aleje Jerozolimskie crossing ulica
Krucza, ulica Bracka in the background
(left from the Orbis sign).

A bit further the same thing happened to me again when I noticed I was on the place where Aleje Jerozolimskie crosses with ulica Krucza. This exactly was the place where thewoman in the video talked about.

The woman also talked about German snipers, let me try to visualize so that you get an idea about the situation and distances.


Left the building which the Germans annexed. Right the places where people crossed the street with the barricade being their shield.

A bit further to the right the station (not visible), also annexed by the Germans. Bullets came from both sides, but it was vital to be able to cross the streets. In a situation where many citizens lost their lives, there were also many lives saved by building this barricade, it was a road to freedom for some literally.

Pamiętamy - We remember


1 comment:

  1. Do You Need a Loan, Loans from $20,000 - $10,000,000 00. Get your no obligation FREE quote now! Repayments up to 54 Months. No Collateral, Money paid into your account within 24 hours after approval. For more Info contact us today via email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com whats-App +918929509036

    ReplyDelete

Statistics

Just some statistic I posted a couple of months ago: Pretty amazing isn't it? Lets go over some other ones, not necessa...