Friday 29 December 2017

Supermarket adventures: the early days

Supermarkets in Poland have weird names, such as Biedronka (Ladybug), Żabka (Little frog), Małpka (Little monkey). They sure like their animals don't they?


Biedronka is a very popular low price supermarket. Frog and monkey shops are smaller and you see them every few blocks here in Warsaw.

Around our block we have a Fresh Market and a Frog shop, which are comparable small shops.

Personnel does not speak English. Or does not want to. Or is scared to.
Now, that's what I call a massive challenge when just arriving. However, it was the fastest way to learn the language. The basics at the least.

I thought.

My wife asked me to buy cottage cheese once. So I asked what it would be in Polish. "Serek wiejski" she said. OK, fine. Will find it. In fact, I will not leave that shop without it! Serek I heard of, I knew that ser means cheese, but wiejski? Definitely not cottage.


So I enter this shop, full of determination. Took me about 15 minutes before finding the right area in this 80 m² shop. Brie I recognized, French cheese spreads I saw, but no serek. Let's check one more time I thought, really do not want to ask...

Unfortunately it really wasn't on the shelf and went to the cashier. In the meantime I was thinking how the hell I could ask a question.

So when it was my turn it went something like this:

Me: "Dzień dobry" (Good day)
Cashier: "..." (noticed the fear in her eyes)
Me: "erhm erhm....errrhhm" (what the hell was that cheese name again).
Cashier: "..." (looking like I was from Mars)
With sweaty palms I then rattled out the famous words:

"Serek miejski koniec?"

Cashier: "..." (the queue getting longer)
Me: "Jutro?" (tomorrow?)
Cashier: "..."
Me: "Do widzenia." (goodbye)
Cashier: "..." (totally confused)

So I went home empty handed, also confused. I mean, I said what the name of the product was. With a bit of effort that cashier could have said at least something about its availability.

At home my wife wanted to know what I asked, so I explained the whole story.
She then laughed so hard that her belly must have hurt from it.

What the fuck have I done wrong?

She started to explain that she wanted me to buy what they call "village cheese". That I should have asked for "serek wiejski" not "serek miejski." 

I was still confused, just one letter was different, they must have understood me.
Right?

Well no. Instead of "village cheese finished?" I asked "City cheese finished?"
We still make fun about it when we are in that shop. "Honey you get the bread, I will get the city cheese ok?"
From then I realized that learning the Polish would be a tough cookie. Later I will write about my language school adventures, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statistics

Just some statistic I posted a couple of months ago: Pretty amazing isn't it? Lets go over some other ones, not necessa...