Monday 25 December 2017

From village to metropole



For the ones who don't know, in the Netherlands I was born and raised in Neede, a village with around 10 thousand inhabitants.

From 10 thousand

Life in Poland has been refreshing so far. We live in a city of 2 million inhabitants (officially), with so many hyper modern buildings, but I remember so many things from my youth strange enough.

To 2 million

In general Polish families are traditional. Some very traditional. I do not want to romanticize things here, but is has been refreshing to me. It is something very hard to describe, it covers all senses really.

Yesterday for instance I smelled something which had me dreaming away to the time I was attending primary school in the Netherlands. Still do not know what I smelled exactly, but it smelled so damn good! And this is happening to me regularly. I can really appreciate these little things.

Rat race
What I despised in the Netherlands the last years was the daily rat race. Don't get me wrong, that same rat race is taking place here, we just need to deal with it. But I now am that one person who does not mind to get overtaken by an elderly lady when I enter the ants nest of Warsaw Central Station. Some of them are pretty damn fast!

Family
Like everywhere on this world, family is important. In Poland family life is a key pillar in society. Eating together, drinking together, laughing together, crying together.

The kitchen
In my perception the kitchen is the
aorta of the family. That's where it happens. It is not just the fact that many Polish women spend more time in the kitchen than I was used to in the Netherlands,
but it is also the place where the family comes together to talk. I can really enjoy these moments. The Polish readers can recognize this I think.

I also learned so much in the kitchen,
saw kitchen appliances I never saw before (some looking pretty dangerous) and got to know Polish dishes and customs. 


Next month I will blog about those, keep an eye on it as it will be interesting to read and see especially for the Dutch readers amongst you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statistics

Just some statistic I posted a couple of months ago: Pretty amazing isn't it? Lets go over some other ones, not necessa...