Tuesday 30 January 2018

Magiel: a disappearing phenomenon

You see less and less of these shops in Warsaw. We noticed this one while waiting on the bus in somewhere in Warszawa Powiśle, close to the Vistula river.


A what?
To be honest I was clueless when my wife asked me to guess what kind of shop it was. In the Netherlands this kind of light is used in public toilets in big cities, so that junkies will not be able to see their veins (If they might have the idea to utilize the toilet for their daily dose). I also saw a woman inside wearing a white apron, but no toilets nor that small plate to put on some money. After a good thought I admitted that I did not have a clue what kind of shop it was.

My wife explained that this shop was a so called 'Magiel'. A place to mangle press your clothes, but mostly sheets, duvets etcetera. What is also a bit awkward is that these shops would apply a price per kilo, not per item. Never heard of it before to be honest, it all sounded a bit medieval to me. 


Tumble dryers
I had the idea that tumble dryers for laundry are not very popular here, just did not see that many when visiting other people's places. I asked my teacher and she confirmed that these dryers are still in 'innovation stage', for the last 30 years ;-)
Another reason is that your sheets will be absolutely wrinkle free and you do not need to iron it. But there was another thing.


Meetings
The Magiel shops were known for the meetings of the women living in the neighborhood, to gossip but also as social control. If the women did not see the old woman of number 117 outside for a while, then one of them would have  a look to see if everything was alright. It is a fact that the current society has become more individual, especially in big cities, but I was positively surprised about social control taking place in apartment blocks. 

Social control
Let me make a short detour to social control. More old people live on their own here compared to the Netherlands. Or with family. We also have a few really old people living in our block, they are not very mobile. In the Netherlands most of them would be in a care home together with other seniors, apart from the stubborn ones. It is nice to see how people help, to get down from the apartment. I am also sure that some neighbours also prepare them a warm meal, as they heavily rely on their children or other family.

Magiel shops
Now back to the subject, Magiel shops. Great places, old school. More than just a shop to get your sheets pressed. Good that they still exist, but I expect to see them disappear from the streets. But surely these women will find another place for their meetings.

1 comment:

  1. Do You Need a Loan, Loans from $20,000 - $10,000,000 00. Get your no obligation FREE quote now! Repayments up to 54 Months. No Collateral, Money paid into your account within 24 hours after approval. For more Info contact us today via email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com whats-App +918929509036

    ReplyDelete

Statistics

Just some statistic I posted a couple of months ago: Pretty amazing isn't it? Lets go over some other ones, not necessa...