Monday 12 February 2018

Dom Lalek

The dollhouse, it sounds a bit strange I guess. But no, I am not referring to a dollhouse for girls to play with their barbies, neither to a brothel or some kind of RealDoll™ Fan Club.

1983
Source: Warszawa bez tajemnic

I am referring to "Dom Lalek", which means dollhouse in Polish. Some also call it a witch house on the internet. Around two years ago I saw a photo on Facebook and what I saw was a very small, strange house. It was surrounded by huge brick walls of old an neglected buildings. It totally did not blend in with the neighborhood, that was for sure...

On the internet I could not find a lot of information about it, some tourists were asking about a witch house in Warsaw they wanted to check out when they would come to Warsaw. I believe it was posted on Tripadvisor. They asked for directions and nobody really answered. After a few months someone answered that they probably were searching for Dom Lalek at Hoża street in the Sródmieście district.

Witch house? Doll house? I chose to have a look myself. That photo was old but it was still supposed to be there.

Hoża street
After Polish lessons I walked to Hoża street, which is not too far from city center. It was cloudy, grey weather and so was the street. It looked pretty rough compared to the skyscrapers and monumental buildings which were just a few hundred metres away. I walked the whole street and noticed that there was something strange going on there.


Some parts of the street show run down buildings where people squat, a little further there are high end shops and companies with super expensive BMW electric cars in front of it. I could not believe my eyes really. What a contrast.


A little further there I passed what looked like a convent, a place where nuns live or come together if they live elsewhere. And then there was nothing, a few boring office buildings and that was it. Better luck next time I thought.

The next try
I tried again a few weeks later and started at the other end of the street this time. Surely I did not look good enough previously...Well, apart from a nice walk I did not find it.

Google
On Google I found a house number after a thorough search. A few weeks later I again went there after Polish lessons and walked to the area where number 70 should be somewhere. 66, 68...70. A white building what seemed to be a lawyer firm. I chose to check the area around it, maybe that person on the internet made a typo. I was slowly going crazy, maybe that dollhouse had been demolished years ago. I wrote to my wife on Whatsapp. I always do that when Google does not know. In fact I don't even need Google as I have a Polish wife.

Mrs MyWarsawDream
After a few minutes she responded that I should press the doorbell at that lawyer firm to ask if I could come inside to their patio to watch Dom Lalek. I was rethinking my options until I saw an old lady open the gate at the number 72 premises, the neighbours. I quickly walked to the gate and saw it was secured by a code. The lady went out and I went in, politely thanking her. I entered a patio and noticed some more companies and apartments. I did not see what I was looking for, but in a corner of my eye I saw a small fence. Dragged myself over it and had a peek around the corner.

And there it was...the holy grail.



After posting some snaps on Instagram a few followers asked me where they could find it. I answered: Hoża street, you will be there in a minute from the center :-)



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Statistics

Just some statistic I posted a couple of months ago: Pretty amazing isn't it? Lets go over some other ones, not necessa...