Sunday 14 January 2018

Słoiki - Jars

"Słoiki" (jars) is an informal term used for incoming residents of Warsaw. The term is derived from jars which are used by many students and workers for carrying food from their parent's house from when visiting during the weekend. They typically come from the towns and villages around Warsaw. Monday to Friday they live in a room or small apartment in Warsaw, enjoying food prepared with love. Mama wants her spouse to eat good in the big city.


My wife and I always make fun of ourselves, when we leave her mother's place with a bag full of food. The soups she always puts in a jar (słoik) for us to take back home. During time we gather quite some empty jars at our place, her soups are truly delicious.


Then the fun starts, we walk with a bag full of empty jars to the city bus and get seated. Being a gentleman I always carry the heavy bags, but with this bag full of empty jars in public transport I sometimes cannot resist. When the driver hits a bump or hole in the road I always shake the bag. My wife did not like it so much at first, as it might have sounded a tad embarrassing in a silent Sunday morning bus.

Poster at my language school.
Stolica means capital city

Humor
I am glad that the Dutch and Polish share the kind of humor where we do not hesitate to make fun of ourself. Now it is a bit of a running gag, great to see the reactions on people's faces. Priceless.

Restaurant
In the center you can also pay a visit to a place named "SŁOIK", just for a drink or for a meal. Some drinks come in a jar and there are a lot of things to watch inside the restaurant.


Very nice place which is fun visiting when having guests from out of town. We also went there when my family visited city center for the first time. 



Very colorful and I remember  they also had old photo prints on walls showing how the area looked like in the past.

What's cookin'?
My kind of place...

1 comment:

  1. Do You Need a Loan, Loans from $20,000 - $10,000,000 00. Get your no obligation FREE quote now! Repayments up to 54 Months. No Collateral, Money paid into your account within 24 hours after approval. For more Info contact us today via email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com whats-App +918929509036

    ReplyDelete

Statistics

Just some statistic I posted a couple of months ago: Pretty amazing isn't it? Lets go over some other ones, not necessa...